Thursday, April 7, 2011

WTFWiki 7: UVB-76

Since the last post on Numbers Stations was pretty well liked, I think I'll give you guys another bit of reading about shortwave radio.  This time it's about a phenomenon known as "The Buzzer."  Be sure to listen to the audio sample included in the Wiki entry to get the full creepy effect.

UVB-76

EDIT:  If you guys like my blog, you might check out this blog as well.  Interesting stuff over there too!

http://neverboringnews.blogspot.com/



From Wikipedia:
"UVB-76 (sometimes referred to as UZB-76, but recently MDZhB[1]) is the call sign of a shortwave radio station that usually broadcasts on the frequency 4625 kHz (AM suppressed lower sideband). It is known among radio listeners by the nickname The Buzzer. It features a short, monotonous About this sound buzz tone , repeating at a rate of approximately 25 tones per minute, for 24 hours per day. The station has been observed since around 1982.[2] On rare occasions, the buzzer signal is interrupted and a voice transmission in Russian takes place. Despite much speculation, the actual purpose of this station remains unknown to the public.[3]"
IN SOVIET RUSSIA, RADIO LISTEN TO YOU

So basically this thing makes a terrible buzzing noise 24/7, and has been for nearly 20 years.  Occasionally a voice will interrupt the buzzing to read encoded messages as seen here.  Sometimes it makes other horrible noises too.  

This is most definitely Russian military, but for what?  Does it have ties to their nuclear system?  Nobody knows 100%, it seems, but that would be my logical guess.  Either way, this gives me the fucking willies, and at this point I'll be quite paranoid if the station ever goes completely off air.

WTF

9 comments:

  1. that's interesting stuff! I wonder why these russians support that radio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I love this blog!!!! Don't forget about me man :)www.neverboringnews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha, It was a good post, maybe I should've let you know I was gonna use it. Next time I will. Please excuse me bro :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blog is posted :) Hopefully you get some refers from my site. Keep that good content coming broski.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is so crazy. hey i got a referral from that guy ^
    nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 20 years? that's a long time for Lost to be on the air...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy shit, this stuff is creepy.

    ReplyDelete